Sunday 5 June 2016

Attack On Titan On PS4! More Anime Games In The Future?

I have been an anime fan for quite a while and have enjoyed anime-based games on multiple generations of consoles. These games have always provided an extension of the anime, one which I could take control of and muck about in. I could walk around Konoha Village or shoot Zeon forces right in their mono-eyed faces or create a one-on-one fight between Broly and Chiaotzu (..and make chiaotzu win) or whatever else I felt like doing.

We've already had a few anime-based games come out for the PS4. Well-known anime such as Dragonball, One Piece, Naruto and Gundam have all had games released on the current gen system. All of the anime-based games released so far have been very well developed and are a tasteful representation of the anime they were based on. I have personally played the Naruto Ultimate Ninja series multiple times each since the PS2 days. I've also played the One Piece Pirate Warriors series and found it incredibly enjoyable. Dragonball Xenoverse on PS4 completely shattered my expectations and turned out to be the best Dragonball game I had ever experienced. However, all of these titles have had predecessors on last gen consoles. Hopefully, this newcomer to the anime-based game lineup will have the same amount of quality. 


Attack On Titan is a fairly recent anime in which humans live in large cities surrounded by towering walls to keep themselves safe from the Titans which are an ugly lot of giant humanoid abominations, some with faces so creepy I can't even.... Well, you get the gist of it. This anime has already gotten it's first game on PS4. Attack On Titan was released in Japan earlier this year and will be available to the rest of the world this August. 

This begs the question, will there be more anime-based game franchises in the future? Personally, I would be ecstatic if more anime were given their own games on PS4. Just imagine games based on Ao no Exorcist (The Blue Exorcist), FairyTail, One Punch Man, Trigun or even SKET-dance. So many anime have such great potential to be made into games! It get's me excited just thinking about the possibility! With the release of Attack On Titan, it may be less of an implausible dream than I once thought. I'm well aware that not everybody would share or even agree with my yearning for anime-based open world RPGs but I'll keep hoping that somewhere out there, there's a game developer who shares my passion and intends to make it a reality.

- Danial Aziz 
Instagram : beyond_just_games

No comments:

Post a Comment